About six months ago Dustin made a Disneyland jar out of a half gallon mason jar and we told the girls our plan to go to Disneyland when the jar was full. They worked really hard to save every penny they found and scrounge up any loose change anyone would give them!
I sell things once in a while on a Facebook yard sale site and so back in May Mikayla found some "treasures" she was willing to part with and set them out on the floor like I do when I sell things online. She took a picture and I posted it for her with an explanation and asked if anyone would be willing to come "buy" her things if I were to leave money under the mat for them. Well, a sweet Mom and her little girls came over to buy the items and one of the little girls used her own money to buy Mikayla's things. It was a sweet moment and a memory I will always treasure.
A lady in our ward heard about the girls' Disneyland jar and came over at the beginning of the month with a card for them. Inside the card was $30 in $1 bills that she had been collecting for them ever since she heard about their trip. It has been fun to see the girls working hard for something, but even more fun to see how kind people have been toward our family and our mission to save for Disneyland. I think Mikayla has learned more about kindness than she learned about saving, but I am so grateful for those lessons learned.
The jar is full!
Nana and Grandad had been planning to go with us and had their own Disneyland jar full of coins so for family home evening the week before we left we rolled all the coins.
Then on Saturday the girls took their wagons full of coins to the bank to cash them in!
With the Disneyland jar cashed in and the last chain on our countdown ripped off the wall it was time to hit the road with some very excited kids! Mikayla came running in the day we left with dress-ups for she and Maylee in hand saying that she needed to look like a princess to go to Disneyland. We surprised them with new dress-ups and since Mikayla's was Rapunzel she wanted to know if I could dye her hair yellow. Um, no. Sorry Sister! We settled for a little make-up instead. Maylee wanted nothing to do with the dress, but no surprise there.
As soon as we got settled into the hotel we walked to Downtown Disney and went exploring. We had told the girls that they could pick out one prize at Disneyland since they worked so hard to fill up their jar, but they had to wait until the last day to pick out what they were going to get. They loved looking at all the possibilities!
There was a fountain in Downtown Disney that Mikyala loved to use her magic on to make the water do all sorts of tricks. It was quite entertaining to watch.
After that Nana and Grandad got to the hotel and the partying began!




















No comments:
Post a Comment