Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Spot"

We went to the zoo yesterday for my birthday.
The adventure stemmed from a scavenger hunt that my ever so creative husband sent me on when I woke up.  The treasure at the end was a note saying where to meet him for a "safari" to the zoo.  If you know Dustin, you know that was the perfect birthday present from him. :)

 Dustin and I had a great time looking at all the animals while Mikayla enjoyed people watching (seriously...in every picture she is looking away from the animals and watching what everyone around her is doing).
I love how Mikayla holds on to Dustin's spikes any time she rides on his shoulders.  Who would've known how handy they would be?

 We loved the animals, but had no intentions of bringing one home with us.  But little did we know, when we got home we found this spotted creature stowed away in our back seat.  You can imagine our surprise!


  

  The spots just keep getting worse and worse.  These pictures hardly do it justice.  They started as tiny little spots yesterday and now they're getting bigger and becoming one giant red rash.  It is horrible!  We might just have to take her back to the zoo!  For now, we're staying far away from Amoxicillin (and changing antibiotics and loading up on Benadryl and calling her "Spot" and being grateful it's not the zoo she's allergic to and hoping that someday soon she'll FINALLY start to feel better).  Poor, poor little girl.  It just breaks my heart to look at her. :(

*Sorry for the confusion...she had an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin, which caused the rash.  She had an ear infection so they put her on the Amoxicillin last week.  We've stopped it and hopefully the rash will clear up in a couple of days.  She still has the ear infection so they switched antibiotics for us.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Mikayla! I actually gasped when I saw the picture of her back. Do you guys know what caused it? That is so sad. I hope that she gets to feeling better soon!

Kirby and Tara Farnsworth said...

I had a rash that looked exactly like that...ALL OVER MY BODY! I think it was my 2nd year in college...during the spring...it was called: Pityriasis Rosea


This website gives a brief overview of the rash: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/pityriasis_rosea.html

so strange...I hope it's not anything too serious!

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday late to you and Dustin! I am so bad. Glad you had fun at the zoo!!!

Poor Mikayla! We have been there and done that. Kody is allergic to penicillin and all related cillins, Garrett penicillin and I am allergic to amoxicillin too. So Jacob is bound to be allergic to something too. Try an oatmeal bath, you can buy packages at Walmart in the bubble bath area, it helps sooth any itching and helps the rash go down. So sorry! It is not fun! Hope she feels better soon.