Wednesday, January 4, 2012

And a Happy New Year!

We celebrated New Year's Eve our style and it was just perfect-a day with family.

That morning Dustin took Mikayla outside to build a fort.  It was quite the to-do, although Dustin said it was shameful and was just a practice run.  Mikayla surprised us greatly and loved it.  That's all that matters.
He declared several things after this fort building experience: all forts need a flag (see about tree post and the small orange flag at the bottom of the post that didn't hold up to expectations), dirt mounds are for digging tunnels (apparently everyone but me knew that already), and he would be raiding the construction trash bins for better scraps of wood for the next fort because this one just wasn't big enough for two.
Dustin also assisted Mikayla with putting all her dress-ups on-at one time.  I'm pretty convinced life would be a lot happier with Dads home a little more often.  Too bad someone's gotta make a living for us!
For dinner we went fancy and Dustin cooked us some filet mignons (Is it shameful that I didn't know what that was when Dustin asked me if that sounded good for our party and that I had to Google how to spell it for this post?  Yes.  Shameful.).  They were delish-especially for one who'd never had one before. :)
Mikayla thought she was on cloud 9 because she got "bip-bip" (dip dip-sour cream) with her dinner.  She kept begging for more and after she finally came to the realization that she wasn't going to get more she went to town licking the leftovers off her plate.  We laughed and laughed as we watched her tongue lick the sour cream off that see though plate.
We ended our evening with sparklers, dessert and games.  The perfect day with the 3 of us (even though I didn't show up in any pictures I promise I was there!).

1 comment:

Megan said...

I totally agree that life would be a lot more fun with dads around all the time!

We've had to start spreading the sour cream on whatever Oliver is eating because otherwise he'll just eat the sour cream with his fork.

We loved hanging out with you guys! :) Hopefully next time Mikayla and Oliver will understand how to play with each other.