Monday, August 18, 2014

Simplicity

Lately I have felt like I'm drowning in "stuff".  I feel claustrophobic in my own house.  It's time for a change.

We are simplifying.  I'm not sure what all that is going to mean for us, but I can guarantee one thing-it's going to mean getting rid of some stuff.  And a lot of the stuff that has to go is from the kids.

Mikayla complains that all we do is pick things up and that it's no fun.  Welcome to reality.  It's not my favorite activity, either.  At the same time I've been wondering if we really need to be picking up the things that get scattered about.  Do we really need them?  Could we save a whole lot of time and disagreements about cleaning by just doing without some things?  My kids will learn to clean and do their chores.  Part of life is learning responsibility, of course.  At the same time, I'm not sure we are doing them any favors by adding to the stockpiles of stuff they have the option of getting out each day.  Stuff that only clutters our home and makes us crazy.  Exactly where to draw the line is tough.

I don't ever want to seem ungrateful and we are trying so hard to teach my kids gratitude.  We truly love and appreciate everything that has been given to us or that we have worked hard for and purchased.  I'm just starting to wonder more and more how much we really "need".

I found an article (http://nourishingminimalism.com/2014/07/18-non-toy-gifts-for-children.html) last night and it really got me thinking about all the stuff my kids have.  My kids are spoiled.  I get that and honestly, at times I love to contribute to the spoiling.  A little date with a treat or a treasure makes for a marvelous memory!  My thoughts have kind of shifted a bit though.  Instead of focusing on "things" I want to create memories and experiences for my kids.  Instead of focusing on toys I hope to shift the focus to memories of zoo dates, vacations, picnics, making crafts, playing games as a family, dance classes, trips to the library, going to the museum, reading books together...gifts of time and love.

That being said, my kids are most definitely still kids.  They love their toys!  I am not planning on taking away everything as I know that playing is how kids learn and that it truly is important.  My only purpose is to fill our home with meaningful things, things that we love, and get rid of the rest.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too many articles to read. Get rid of some of them!

rmb said...

You can also rotate toys in bins so there is less out but you can keep it fresh. But, I agree, I feel like that sometimes-I love our home but it's a lot of work and getting rid of more would certainly help!!