Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tipping the Scale

Our little Miss Mikayla has had a hard time gaining back her birth weight even though we've been feeding her and feeding her. She only been gaining about 1/2 of what she needs to each week. We had to resort to supplementing with formula to give her a little extra boost, but the stinking formula gives her awful tummy aches. It is horrible! On Sunday we were at my parent's house watching the Olympics and I remembered my Mom had a food scale and I decided we should try and weigh her on it because the regular scale just wasn't working and I was dying to know if we were getting anywhere with the formula. So we stuck Mikayla on a cookie sheet and weighed her on the kitchen counter. Amazingly the scale was pretty accurate, but it was a pretty funny scene! At the official weight check at the doctor's office yesterday she weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs 4 1/2 ounces and at one month old FINALLY gained back her birth weight (her birth weight was 8 lbs 3 oz)! Most babies gain their birth weight back by 2 weeks so she was a little slow getting chubby again. Yeah to some progress!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Yikes! That's scary! Good to know the formula is helping! As much as they say "breast is best", I think that formula is pretty amazing and am so grateful for it.

Duckie said...

Hmm, that sounds a little familiar to me. So sorry you have to deal with it too. If you think the formula really is irritating to her, we have some Alimentum left from Emilee. That seemed to be the easiest for her for a long time. Let me know if you want to try it, and I'll cut you a deal! :)

DawnSheree said...

Man Meagan, I can't believe it. I thought she was 7.6 when she was born. What a petite little lady. To bad petite isn't "in" at that age. :) I say as long as she likes nursing and you like nursing her let her nurse and give her a bottle also. Easy for the doctor to say lets try formula though. There is millions of kinds out there. Good luck finding the match for all of you. Call me if you want. Love ya.

Maren Lee said...

I'm so glad you have lots of good women to offer you sound advice. Maybe if our Dominican drink does the trick, you'll have the new secret to success too! Love you Mugs! And I love the boot pictures too :)